I am back. I have not been very active in this space for quite sometime now. I have just been too lazy to put down my thoughts on this page.
As I write this, I am slowly heading towards the end of 58th Day in US of A. Yes. You read it correctly. I am currently in New York…White Plains to be more precise. Have come here on a 3-month assignment. Life has been good so far and I hope will continue to remain the same way. Have done plenty of sight seeing in the last 58 days. I have explored all the major attractions in the city. Have also covered places like DC, Boston & Philadelphia.
However this blog is not about the places that I visited. It about my experiences with the American people in general. A few things, which I liked
People are very courteous. You walk into an elevator and you hear good morning from someone who you never knew existed and whom you would probably never meet for the rest of your life. This is just a small example. There are many such instances where I felt that someone was being nice to me. I am sure its something which all of us can put into practice. Try being nice to someone today. Wish them good morning, Say Thank you or just smile. You never know it might just brighten up someone’s day. On an unrelated note, Tipping is taken very seriously out here. If you do not tip it is considered rude behavior.
I have had the opportunity to interact with quite a few Americans. Over all my interactions I always felt that there is nothing superficial about the conversation that I am having. In other words I get what I see. Somebody is not trying to make a bakra out of me. People don’t judge you here. I have always felt comfortable talking to people whom I know will not judge me for good/bad. I have been fortunate to have such people around me.
No matter how much time you spend here there’s a voice inside you, which says you don’t belong here. I miss being in India. I miss my family, friends, relatives. Someone has rightly said, you realize the importance of people only when you don’t have them around.
I started this blog with 58 days. I end it with 33 days more to go. India See you soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment