Thursday, May 29, 2008

POWER YOUR COMMUNICATION, EMPOWER YOUR LIFE...

That’s the name of the training session that I attended a few days back. The objective of this training was to improve and make our day to day communication more effective.

I was quite familiar with the content of this workshop since I had already been through this training n number of times before at different places… all of them focusing on enhancing your communication skills. So I didn’t have great expectations. But there were two important learning’s which I would like to share.

The session started with each one of us giving a brief introduction and where we would be like to be 5 years down the line. Most of us stated our name…like people state their name for the purpose of records in courtroom J…how long we have been working…and see ourselves heading a team in 5 years time. After we finished our introduction, the presenter asked us how many of the introductions that you just heard would you remember? Frankly I remembered none…because there was no “soul” or “energy” in our communication. Joey the famous character from sitcom friends once said “I need to get a new walk….because I want people to take notice when I walk into the room”. Similarly I guess we should develop a communication style…so that when we talk or write people take notice.

The second learning was how people respond while communicating. We were introduced to the concept of A.C.E.S. through a psychometric test.
A – Advising
C – Critical
E – Empathetic
S – Searching
The idea is to have a higher score on E+S and a lower score on A+C. I know many people who in the name of being frank and direct always advise and criticise when they respond. They feel being frank and direct brings two people closer. I beg to differ on this…because sometimes they way you respond to a situation can put someone down…criticisms do not go well with some people…and they are not always looking for advise when they share something. One may say you can always advise and be critical with people whom you are close to. But Communication is a habit. It’s not a mask which we can wear when we are with family or friends. It is rightly said that “What we see in others is our own reflection”. So let us stop being judgemental and show more empathy while communicating with people.

That’s it. Hope people take notice of this communication.

Cheers!!

No comments: