It’s been only a little over a week and it feels like I have lived an entire life here. Singapore is an amazing place. You have to see it to believe it. When I first stepped my foot on the soil of this country I was expecting to be greeted by skyline and concrete structures. But I was surprised when I saw the trees and greenery around. It was a treat for the eyes. The weather here is very much like Mumbai. Hot & humid…It’s a country with a population of just over 4 million and survives only on trade. Not a single good that you find is manufactured here. It's port is one of the busiest in the world…
When I came here I didn’t have an agenda as to the places that I wanted to cover. Most of them were decided on the fly and I guess will continue to remain that way...
Sentosa: - First up I went to an island called “Sentosa”. Perhaps one of the main tourist attractions here in singapore. Went there by cable cars…Suspended over a thousand feet, the view from these cars was simply breathtaking. I went to a place called underwater world. It’s basically an aquarium in the form of a tunnel with different kinds of marine creatures sailing over you. Then I saw the dolphin’s show were trained dolphins performed some act and spread cheer amongst the crowd. By the time I finished these two I was exhausted. The heat had sucked out all the energy. The jet lag wasn’t helping either. Felt like going straight back to the hotel and hitting the bed. But one of my friends insisted that we stay back and finish one more event called ‘Songs of the ocean’. I am glad I listened to him. Because what followed in that show was creativity at it’s best. Images were created through laser beams on a water jet. It was brilliant and something that made our day.
Little India: - On our way back to the hotel we chanced upon a place called little India. The moment you come to this place you feel like you are at home. You can see the usual crowd, the hustle bustle, and the vegetable vendors. For a moment I started wondering whether I am actually in Singapore or not. Indians will be Indians wherever in the world they go.
Clarke Quay: - Clarke quay is the place where you find the Hardrock cafés and the café mondegars of Singapore. Most of the pubs here are open till 3-4 in the morning. We went to a pub called the Pump room. There is a band there which plays live music ranging from rock to reggae. We grooved and screamed our lungs out there one night. Clarke quay is also famous for the reverse bungee ride. Its one of a kind… where you are thrown up into the air at 200 miles an hour. If you are not faint hearted and want to get your adrenalin pumping, then you should definitely not miss this ride.
Jurong Bird Park:- Is a bird sanctuary. Spread across 20 hectare land this park boasts of 600 different types of birds. The park also has different shows were trained birds perform different acts. So if you want to do some “bird watching” then you must not miss this park.
All along the one thing which really struck me about Singapore is they are so well organized in everything that they do. They don’t have conductors in buses; none of their MRTs are manned. It’s such a well planned city. They have taken care of every minute detail while drawing the plans for the city. For instance the escalators in the MRT would be running much faster than in a mall, primarily to push people faster out of the stations. Drawing comparisons at every stage with India was inevitable It actually gave us a lot of moments to laugh.
Almost forgot to mention about the people here in Singapore. The hospitality and the warmth extended over the last few days have been overwhelming. None of the cab drivers will ever cheat you no matter what time of the day you are traveling. They won’t charge one extra paisa. People here are very courteous.
I think everybody once in their life time should come to Singapore. It’s a truly unique experience.
When I came here I didn’t have an agenda as to the places that I wanted to cover. Most of them were decided on the fly and I guess will continue to remain that way...
Sentosa: - First up I went to an island called “Sentosa”. Perhaps one of the main tourist attractions here in singapore. Went there by cable cars…Suspended over a thousand feet, the view from these cars was simply breathtaking. I went to a place called underwater world. It’s basically an aquarium in the form of a tunnel with different kinds of marine creatures sailing over you. Then I saw the dolphin’s show were trained dolphins performed some act and spread cheer amongst the crowd. By the time I finished these two I was exhausted. The heat had sucked out all the energy. The jet lag wasn’t helping either. Felt like going straight back to the hotel and hitting the bed. But one of my friends insisted that we stay back and finish one more event called ‘Songs of the ocean’. I am glad I listened to him. Because what followed in that show was creativity at it’s best. Images were created through laser beams on a water jet. It was brilliant and something that made our day.
Little India: - On our way back to the hotel we chanced upon a place called little India. The moment you come to this place you feel like you are at home. You can see the usual crowd, the hustle bustle, and the vegetable vendors. For a moment I started wondering whether I am actually in Singapore or not. Indians will be Indians wherever in the world they go.
Clarke Quay: - Clarke quay is the place where you find the Hardrock cafés and the café mondegars of Singapore. Most of the pubs here are open till 3-4 in the morning. We went to a pub called the Pump room. There is a band there which plays live music ranging from rock to reggae. We grooved and screamed our lungs out there one night. Clarke quay is also famous for the reverse bungee ride. Its one of a kind… where you are thrown up into the air at 200 miles an hour. If you are not faint hearted and want to get your adrenalin pumping, then you should definitely not miss this ride.
Jurong Bird Park:- Is a bird sanctuary. Spread across 20 hectare land this park boasts of 600 different types of birds. The park also has different shows were trained birds perform different acts. So if you want to do some “bird watching” then you must not miss this park.
All along the one thing which really struck me about Singapore is they are so well organized in everything that they do. They don’t have conductors in buses; none of their MRTs are manned. It’s such a well planned city. They have taken care of every minute detail while drawing the plans for the city. For instance the escalators in the MRT would be running much faster than in a mall, primarily to push people faster out of the stations. Drawing comparisons at every stage with India was inevitable It actually gave us a lot of moments to laugh.
Almost forgot to mention about the people here in Singapore. The hospitality and the warmth extended over the last few days have been overwhelming. None of the cab drivers will ever cheat you no matter what time of the day you are traveling. They won’t charge one extra paisa. People here are very courteous.
I think everybody once in their life time should come to Singapore. It’s a truly unique experience.
3 comments:
hey thts great yaar
enjoy to the core. Sounds good to hear that they dont have conductors and cabbies dont cheat.Seems Singapore is really educated unlike India which seems to be just literate
Great Description I could imagine what you were talking abt all the places
Actually it not just about education...it just requires willingness from people to do things..to be disciplined...to follow the rules...
:)didn't know you liked this place so much .. and here i was going ga ga over Sg and telling you things which you already know. Makes me feel dumb!
PJ
Post a Comment